Lead Safety

Lead has the potential to be one of the most dangerous and toxic heavy metals and is found in almost all parts of our environment. It’s in the air, soil, water, and even in our homes. Lead-based paints were used frequently on homes during the 19th and 20th centuries because the lead allowed for the paint to last longer and run thinner. It wasn’t until the late 20th century that we truly understood how toxic lead is when inhaled or ingested, and because of that the government started developing restrictions on using lead-based paint and regulating the removal of lead-based materials. As you can see in the photo provided, there are many health concerns that come with being exposed to lead. Many toxic materials will target one part of the body, and in this case lead typically targets the brain but it can also affect your brain, kidneys, liver, blood and reproductive systems. The EPA has many suggestions for staying safe, some suggestions are to regularly test your water and water sources for lead contamination, check for lead-based paint before purchasing a home, avoid inhalation of lead dust and make sure all soil and dirt is off your shoes before entering your home. Lead comes in many forms, and we are happy to help in identifying and test for lead in your home, so contact us today! Your safety is our priority.